Have you been riding your horse or pony and there was something they were terrified of? Like a "butterfly monster" , a tiny frog jumping into a pond, or maybe an umbrella opening during a horse show? Share your funny story with us!

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My horse Jazz was terrified of a tiny piece of corn husk that was "chasing" us down the road one fall day. The wind kept picking it up and blowing it toward us. Everytime she calmed down, the wind would pick it up again and it would start twirling and spinning. She was convinced we were going to die but maybe if she snorted loud enough she might be able to save us. What a funny day!
Sheik is pretty bombproof...especially for an almost three year old.
The funniest thing he ever spooked at though, was a round bale of hay.
We usually feed them from square bales, but we were going on vaction and didn't want the person taking care of them for us having to haul out hay to them. He came in from the back pasture and kept freaking out everytime he saw it. It took him two days before he'd walk over and touch it.
Incredible Gift is pretty bombproof herself but Wind Dancer is a freak about everything. It doesn't matter if it is the wind blowing against her, she just goes all weird on me. How do I get her to be bombproof, like IG?
IF she spooks at certain things, like plastic bags, for instance, you can 'sack her out' it's a really handy thing I've done with Sheik a million times.
When she spooks at something, and you can figure out what is, go and get that thing (If possible) and then talking to her calmly, let her sniff it, and then rub it over her nose and her head, her neck, her legs, etc. It won't help with the wind of course, but it should help get her more bombproof about other things.
Thanks a lot for the info. I will try that with the two younger ones that are not bombproof. As for the one that freaks at everything, well she is being sold to my farrier. He is a really good guy and will give her a really nice home. Plus, he subscribes to the natural horsemanship method and trains horses for his living. She will be much better off with someone of more experience. But thanks again.
Hi Katherine,
Some thoughts on shying. To some extent the nature of the horses genetics can make up his response to things he sees as a possible threat. I think we can help them to become more confident with us and also to introduce them to a lot of new things in a "controlled" situation. I am interested in the nautural horsemanship methods that teach a lot about the value of approach and retreat with obstacles and potentially scary onjects. The idea being to introduce your horse to a lot of new things and help him to develop confidence in you and in himself in new situations. Much of this is done safely at home and while they are handled from the ground. I do not think it can so much change their reaction to something but help them to be able to think when they see a potentially frightening thing. Hope this made sense. I imagine your farrier could explain more about it. I wish him all the best with Wind Dancer and that he can give more confidence to this horse. Horses like this need a strong leader and you are becoming one as you gain confidence yourself. Recognizing that we are not always the best match for a horse we own is often a hard decision. My hats off to you for putting your horse and your familys safety first. KUDOS TO YOU KATHERINE!
My horse montana will spook at anything...but the funniest one was when he acted like some barrels were monsters...I was trying to practice for speed shows and was practicing the plug race...I asked montana to canter, and he did...well he got close to the barrel, he jumped off to the side, bucked and then bolted...I got him undercontrol pretty fast, but it was soo funny...
Sometimes our horse is not shying at what we think it is shying at, because their vision is different than ours. You can read about how horses see at my hub article.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Horses-See

I don't know if it is still in print or not, but a good little book titled The Mind of the Horses by RH Smythe does a good job explaining how the horse uses its senses.
yep .............my old pony Millie shyed at a pink flower in her path as her concentration was on a prancing horse in the field!!
All my Arabians have been scared of pigs! It must run in the family I guess. No pigs in Arabia? LOL Mine eventually got used to them but always kept a close eye on them until we got past that "scary" bunch!
My older sister has a pony that is terrified of cows...When they come up to the fence line, he doesnt stick around to wait...My sister gets a kick out of it everytime...
I've been thinking about this for several days. I've had Indy for almost 8 years now, and honestly, I don't remember him really shying at anything... Maybe it's the fact that he'd been started with NH methods when I got him at age 3, and I've kept on with that type of training. Or maybe it's just that he's too darned nosey to shy away from anything strange!

RSS

Latest Activity

Peggy Hogan commented on Peggy Hogan's status
"Good to hear it :-) Things are busy for both of us!!!"
Jul 2, 2013
Peggy Hogan posted a status
"Been awhile, sorry to have drifted away. Hope you're all well and enjoying the summer. :-)"
Jun 26, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared their photo on Facebook
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared their photo on Facebook
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) posted a photo

My good boy KA...,

My best boy KA who was my first soulmate and filled my life with joy for 27 years. Sweet dream beautiful boy.
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) posted a status
"Grass starting to green up..., happy horses playing in the sunshine.. a good day at the farm ! :)"
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) left a comment for pony gal
"Hey Sissy, Can you come down and play ponies with us? Me and the boys are missing you!"
Apr 6, 2013
"Spent all day in the barn, brushing, clipping combing out manes and tieing up tails etc. Had a fun but "hairy" day. LOL"
Apr 6, 2013
stella kumba is now a member of Horse N Pony Friends
Mar 29, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared a profile on Facebook
Feb 21, 2013
"A cold windynight with plenty of snow. Glad all mine are tucked in with plenty of hay to munch on till morning. Dreaming of spring..., :)"
Feb 21, 2013
pony gal left a comment for Carolyn
"Welcome Carolyn! Feel free to setup your page and add your photos/videos. Thank you for joining us! Any questions, just send a message. We are here to help. :) Deb aka Ponygal"
Feb 17, 2013
Carolyn is now a member of Horse N Pony Friends
Feb 17, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) left a comment for Jessie
"Hi Jessie, Just stopping by to say hello. Hope you and all your little guys are doing okay in all this winter weather. We are getting more rain and wind here. The little boys are muddy but happy!"
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared pony gal's photo on Facebook
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) left a comment for pony gal
"Hey there Ponygal remember me?"
Feb 11, 2013
"Windy and cold here but on my way back to the house I saw the first green tips of spring crocus coming up. Come on Spring!"
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) posted photos
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance)'s 4 photos were featured
Feb 11, 2013
Volker Reumschüssel is now a member of Horse N Pony Friends
Nov 9, 2012

Online Discount Deals

© 2017   Created by pony gal.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service