Have you been riding your horse or pony and there was something they were terrified of? Like a "butterfly monster" , a tiny frog jumping into a pond, or maybe an umbrella opening during a horse show? Share your funny story with us!

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awhile back, when I was first driving Little Man, he spooked at a big dirt clod in the road. The road maintainer had left them about every 30 yards all the way down the road. He shot sideways about three feet and we were headed for the ditch. Then he stopped and shook himself and gave a little snort. He has never spooked at anything much since.
Pigs. Little pigs. Lots of little pigs in a pen.

My husband and I had been riding our Fjord mares calmly along a lovely horse trail in one of our local county parks. Now, we live in Iowa, so it was not surprising that the trail took us by a homestead with a pen of weanling pigs.

I grew up with hogs ... my grandfather raised them and I did chores for him ... so I am familiar with their behavior when they see something out of the ordinary, something curious and new. They first stand quite still to look and think it through. This is often followed by a chorus of sharp grunts "oof, oof, oof!" as they mill and jump about, often followed by the whole herd bucking and trotting away.

A few braver pigs will usually trot back after a short pause, followed shortly by the whole herd. They generally end up even closer to the object of their curiosity. If it seems safe, pigs will usually come closer yet for a smell and perhaps even a taste. To pigs, this is normal behavior. To horses, a pile of bouncing, noisy pink pigs can be scary!

Our mares had never met a pig before, let alone a whole pen of curious porkers. They locked onto the pigs, the pigs locked onto the horses, and both parties tensed with indecision ... threat? no threat? run away? move closer? ... I was concerned because my husband is a novice rider, and I wanted him to be safe.

I knew from past experience that it is helpful in a tense moment to ask my horse to move ... not so much forward or backward, but sideways, even if only to rock a bit. Gentle sideways movement seems to break the spell and lessen the tension, without offering any suggestion that it is okay to bolt forward or rear backwards. That unlocked Kari, my husband's mare, and she relaxed enough to step sideways, then walk calmly forward.

My Sissel was still convinced those pigs were going to attack, and she was not at all ready to trust my suggestion that she relax. I asked Chuck to bring Kari near Sissel for reassurance, I quietly asked Sissel for a walk, and Sis complied although she stayed tense. As we moved further away from the pigs, she calmed down nicely. Both mares were back to their usual unflappable selves as we rode back into the park's picnic grounds. They didn't even blink at the loud cars in the nearby parking lot and a flapping row of flags along the trail.

I would have liked to go back for another "teachable moment" with the pigs, but I didn't think Chuck was ready for that yet. So we have yet to experience a second encounter with pigs, but the girls did well, Chuck did well, and all of us were safe. --DeeAnna

RSS

Latest Activity

Peggy Hogan commented on Peggy Hogan's status
"Good to hear it :-) Things are busy for both of us!!!"
Jul 2, 2013
Peggy Hogan posted a status
"Been awhile, sorry to have drifted away. Hope you're all well and enjoying the summer. :-)"
Jun 26, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared their photo on Facebook
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared their photo on Facebook
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) posted a photo

My good boy KA...,

My best boy KA who was my first soulmate and filled my life with joy for 27 years. Sweet dream beautiful boy.
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) posted a status
"Grass starting to green up..., happy horses playing in the sunshine.. a good day at the farm ! :)"
Apr 7, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) left a comment for pony gal
"Hey Sissy, Can you come down and play ponies with us? Me and the boys are missing you!"
Apr 6, 2013
"Spent all day in the barn, brushing, clipping combing out manes and tieing up tails etc. Had a fun but "hairy" day. LOL"
Apr 6, 2013
stella kumba is now a member of Horse N Pony Friends
Mar 29, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared a profile on Facebook
Feb 21, 2013
"A cold windynight with plenty of snow. Glad all mine are tucked in with plenty of hay to munch on till morning. Dreaming of spring..., :)"
Feb 21, 2013
pony gal left a comment for Carolyn
"Welcome Carolyn! Feel free to setup your page and add your photos/videos. Thank you for joining us! Any questions, just send a message. We are here to help. :) Deb aka Ponygal"
Feb 17, 2013
Carolyn is now a member of Horse N Pony Friends
Feb 17, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) left a comment for Jessie
"Hi Jessie, Just stopping by to say hello. Hope you and all your little guys are doing okay in all this winter weather. We are getting more rain and wind here. The little boys are muddy but happy!"
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) shared pony gal's photo on Facebook
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) left a comment for pony gal
"Hey there Ponygal remember me?"
Feb 11, 2013
"Windy and cold here but on my way back to the house I saw the first green tips of spring crocus coming up. Come on Spring!"
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance) posted photos
Feb 11, 2013
Becky (ridendurance)'s 4 photos were featured
Feb 11, 2013
Volker Reumschüssel is now a member of Horse N Pony Friends
Nov 9, 2012

Online Discount Deals

© 2017   Created by pony gal.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service